Friday, February 8, 2013

Tonight is not a good night.....!

When I was a kid growing up on the family farm and working outside several hours a day I always wanted to have a good tan.  I mean, I went as far as using a home made tanning concoction of baby oil and iodine.....it did a great job, too!  I can't count the number of times I had my arms, shoulders, and back as red as a boiled lobster knowing that in a few short hours they would be a nice deep brown/tan!!  There was of course, the unsual things that go along with a sun burn: red skin, a few blisters, and the ultimate cracked/peeling skin.  The only saving grace was knowing I would have that nice golden tan.

Well, tonight my arms have that same red, dry cracked skin thing going on but this time it is hopefully to finally get rid of the damage I did all those years with tanning oils.   Tonight, as soon as I applied the 5FU drops the burning began almost immediately especially on the left arm.   Over the past couple of days both arms have really "bloomed" with red spots that are turning in to nasty, dried, crusty lesions (as described by the doctor as well as my Navigate Cancer counselor). Each night, the burning last a little longer because the 5FU has basically stripped off the top layer of skin.  However, if this means that all of the sun damaged cells are being destroyed and we don't have to go to the "next level chemical treatment" the doctor said would not be pleasant I am okay with a little burning.

My next mission, finding SPF cycling sleeves for the upcoming cycling season.  Anyone have any suggestions??  I know I will look absolutely stupid riding around this summer with a long sleeve jersey or wearing sleeves; but, when I get this taken care of this time I am going to take care of my arms!!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment