Sunday, February 10, 2013

Okay, you might not want to look...!

WARNING: this post contains a photograph of my left arm taken a few minutes ago.  If you go back and read the last post you will note what was bugging me so much.  2 weeks in and the red spots are actually starting to rupture and turn in to crusty lesions.

So, just as a refresher....skin cancer is real!  These lesions are sun damaged cells that were "incubating" under my skin.  Two years ago my dermatologist found one basal cell carcinoma spot on my right shoulder; however, my arms were covered in bright red, dry, scaly patches.  At the time, and now, these were identified as actinic keratosis and that left untreated they could potentially develop into full blown skin cancer.  That day, the dermatologist froze off about 12 places on my left arm and 5 on my right arm.  A few months later, I decided to switch doctors and was put on a 3 month regimen of Blue-U treatment....basically....a doctor induced sun burn after having my arms doused in some chemical and placed under a sun lamp.  That treatment appeared to work until.....about 8 weeks later a new spot came on my left arm.

Well, at my check up in January my dermatologist was not pleased that the AK's had reappeared after the Blue-U treatment and said we needed to get aggressive.  That "aggressive" treatment was 5FU.  The link will take you to some information about the way it is used to treat non-melanoma cancers.  It appears to be doing what it is supposed to do...it is just an ugly process.   Basically, it inhibits cell growth in sun damaged cells.  Hopefully, this will destroy all of the bad cells and they will not continue developing in to squamous cell carcinoma.  Needless to say, I will not be wearing short sleeves out in public for some time!!!

I hope I haven't ruined your dinner, breakfast, or any other meals/snacks you might be eating.  Thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment