Sunday, February 17, 2013

Honored and humbled

Part of dealing with and coping with any hardship in life is having a great support group of family, friends, co-workers, etc.  That could not be more true in getting through a cancer diagnosis and treatment.  I have chronicled how I really didn't feel comfortable with referring to myself as a "survivor" and how the people I was with in Austin, TX in October 2011 especially the CEO Doug Ulman really drove home that a cancer diagnosis regardless of the type makes one a survivor.  I have also written about how I met so many people over the years who have become dear friends.  Today that really hit home!

During my trip to Austin, TX in October 2011 and again in February 2012 I met Jeff Mulder, a dedicated LiveSTRONG Leader, volunteer, and a fundraising machine.  I remember listening to Jeff speak at the opening night event in October while we were sitting in Lance's back yard.  I loved his story on getting to know survivors by asking them about their favorite song and how he loaded those songs in to his iPod.  I loved his dedication to cancer survivorship and that he has involved his entire family and they were with him in Austin!  Let's just say that he is one incredible person!

Earlier today, I opened up Facebook as I do many times a day and I had an alert to review.  The alert was Jeff Mulder had tagged me in a photograph.  Now, it has been nearly a year since I was in the same zip code with Jeff so I wasn't realy sure what to expect when I opened the picture.  Much to my surprise, I was HUMBLED  and HONORED to see this picture
 
I am not sure where he was riding, what city he was in, or what event he was participating in but he had this flag with him.  I didn't know what to say and really still don't know what to say other than THANK YOU!   You see, today has been a really bad day entering the 4th week of the 5FU treatment and my left arm is really starting to dry out, crack open, and some of the places are bleeding.  As my family says, it looks like my arms have been burned.  I can't really grip anything with my left hand because the skin has dried out so much that any tension on my forarm feels like the skin is being pulled away from my arm.  This picture made my day! 
 
I can only hope to be as dedicated as Jeff.  He is an inspiration and a great friend!!
 
 

 

2 comments:

  1. Having known Jeff in high school, mostly throwing shot put with him, the thing that struck me about him was his willingness to help anyone in need. His interest in people and sincerity is truly genuine and infectious. Though I haven't been in contact with Jeff for many years, I can say, unequivocally, that anyone who has Jeff in their lives is fortunate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would agree that I am truly fortunate for having met Jeff!

    ReplyDelete