Thursday, January 19, 2012

The little WINS and painful reality of cancer

Wow....it is so difficult to really sum up what this morning has meant to me.  I sit hear reading with great excitement this news out of Israel: Cancer Vaccine and dare let myself think of the day when like every other horrible disease we can all get a shot that will greatly reduce our chances of having to ever worry about running out of time waiting for a cure. 

Then, I open my email to find a sad note from a family I met only through email and my connections to LiveSTRONG.  After chronicling the daily activities of a father, husband, son, and brother in handling not only a recurrence of his cancer but also kidney failur, the last email today was "He's gone."  The family shared a wonderful holiday season after he made a decision to discontinue all treatments and simply go home.  He was able to enjoy Christmas and see his daughter do her gymnastic routine one last time. 

I then open up Facebook just to see what my family and friends are up to and find this story in the Cyclist Combatting Cancer page:  Eli's Army .  Why????

As Lance stated at last year's Ride for the Roses, we have to find a way to keep people from running out of time waiting for a cure.  I hope the research and clinical trials in Israel are the start of this cause.  Unfortunately, my heart aches for two families that I only know through the internet because they had loved ones who ran out of time today!!

No comments:

Post a Comment