Wednesday, October 19, 2011

2011 LiveSTRONG Challenge and Ride for the Roses Weekend

It has been quite some time since my last post but I promise never to let that happen again.  I will probably move on to a new blog but haven't settled on a catchy all encompassing title yet...so stay tuned.

So, this past week was an incredibly emotionally charged week culminating in a short 20 mile bike ride out in Texas hill country with 2000 other cycling enthusiast who hate cancer as much as I do.  Thanks to all of the people who donate to my favorite cause, 24 Hours of Booty, here in Charlotte I qualified to attend this year's Ride for the Roses.  So, let me see if I can adequately cover how the week played itself out for everyone.

Thursday October 13th marked the 8th anniversary of my Mom ran out of time waiting on an effective treatment for breast cancer.  You will understand the "ran out of time" comment as you continue to read.  It was also the day I picked up my bike from The Spirited Cyclist here is Mooresville all boxed up in a Thule bike case for the trip to Austin, TX.  I was both saddened and excited at the same time.  As mentioned in earlier post on this blog I love my Mom and miss her every day.  My Mom was a wonderful person who  never met someone she did not like and did not like her!

Friday October 14th started bright and early with a 7:05 am flight out to Texas.  I felt like a little kid again waiting from my birthday or Christmas to arrive...simply giddy about what I was going to experience during the weekend.  I arrived in Austin around 10:40 am and was greeted by a LiveSTRONG Challenge volunteer as I entered the baggage claim area and I must admit it was pretty cool seeing someone holding a board with your name on it just waiting for you to arrive.  The area was awash with the light blue t-shirts of the volunteers and yellow and black balloons were all over baggage claim. 
 Thanks to Jamie for taking this picture!  As I was waiting on my bike to show up I began meeting people who were also there for the Ride for the Roses Weekend and started making new friends.  The Thule bike case finally arrived and after a quick stop at the registration table it was on to the bus for transport to the Downtown Austin Hyatt.  At the hotel, once I got checked in with the hotel it was off to officially sign in for the weekend and drop off my bike.  The staff in the registration room made you feel welcome, even a newbie as myself.  What I found remarkable was that several of the folks in front of me were called by name by the staff.  This is an obviously very tight knit family.  Once I dropped my bike off at the bike room to be assembled and transported to all of the rides it was off to the room for a couple of hours to unpack, take a shower, and relax before going over to a private tour of the headquarters of the Lance Armstrong Foundation.

That afternoon is when the truly powerful weekend really kicked in to gear.  First I met up with the other 24 Hours of Booty riders who earned this experience through their fundraising efforts:  Bryan McMillan from the Krased Marauders out of Columbia, MD; John Manser and Kelly Wiggins from Team Pirate Treasure out of Atlanta, GA and made friends for life instantly.  Then we loaded the bus for the short drive over to the LAF headquarters.  As we rolled up, we got our first glimpse of the new mural that was commissioned to world renowned tattoo and graffiti artist Mister Cartoon
Note, the bottom right hand corner is an empty ribbon...later that afternoon when had been introduced and spoke for a few minutes about his own work and the meaning of the symbols in the mural we were honored to watch him actually "tag" his work.  The great thing about Mister Cartoon is that he takes in young kids who want to be artist and forces them to not use Photoshop or any other graphic programs until they prove themselves by drawing/painting by hand.  Isn't it amazing what can be done with spray paint!!!  After getting Mister Cartoon's autograph on the poster he designed for the weekend it was back on the bus to get prepared for the evening's private dinner at a super secret location....which turned out to Lance Armstrong's back yard. 

That night, with about 400 other cancer warriors, we were treated to a great meal, got to meet Ethan Suplee (to me Louie Lastik from Remember the Titans), and were serenaded by Lance's favorite party band, The Gypsy Queens all the way from Nice, France.  We heard powerful stories about survivorship, such as a 30 something young man fighting testicular cancer who was told on the day he was to begin chemo was told it would be postponed because of a shortage of a key medicine needed, the story of Movember, USA, and finally watching a rather embarrassed Dad, Lance himself, try to wrangle his overtired and running on pure nervous energy 3 year old son.

Saturday morning October 15th...I was up bright and early remarkably refreshed ready to take on the LiveSTRONG Challenge 5K.  Met up with all of friends from 24 HoB and headed out to the start line.  Talk about a sea of yellow....it was everywhere.  Over 2200 people had signed up for the 5K and it was impressive.  Again, you could not help but be moved as they announced that the pedicabs carrying young kids from the local Austin area fighting cancer right now were allowed to lead the procession.  I couldn't see them from my vantage point but John Manser said it was indeed inspiring.  Out on the 5K there were folks walking, running, and jogging.  There were colorful team jersey's such as:
  • Team 1 Nut....you guessed it...for a father fighting testicular cancer
  • Papa's Peeps
  • A group of women walking with a shirt blazoned with the saying "bladder cancer pisses me off"
  • and many, many more
As we approached the finish line, the ladies of 24 HoB made sure that I walked into the survivor lane to be recognized as such...even though I was still struggling with that title...but more on that later.  I received a yellow rose and a lot of hugs from the team...for those of you who know me can probably guess that I was very emotional, or as John Manser says, "I have weak tear ducts".  We stuck around awhile and watched some of the other folks coming in and got to see Team 1 Nut finishing the course with an ever exuberant little girl, probably a dyed in the wool Daddy's girl go walking up the bridge screaming "team 1 nut, team 1 nut" at the top of her lungs!  It was then off to the room to get geared up for our chance to ride with Lance.  We loaded up the buses and headed out to a place called The Driveway where our bikes were waiting.  After a group picture with Lance we jumped on our bikes and hit the course with a professional photography crew riding at the front of the pack.  One by one we were marshaled up to ride with Lance for 1-2 minutes all the while the professional photographers were snapping away.  What do you say to someone of Lance's status in the cancer fighting world...other than Thanks for everything he has done for the cause.  Boy was I surprised when he looked at me and said, "no Thank you for being on the front lines of the fight.." I was instantly taken by him humility in that statement. It was not said in some rote fashion...I could tell he truly meant it!  After our group all had their time riding with Lance we boarded the buses and it was back to LAF headquarters for a private lunch.  During that luncheon we learned that .81 cents of every dollar donated to LAF goes right back into programs and services.  Anything above .75 cents is fantastic stewardship and they are striving to get to .84 to .85 cents as quickly as possible.  We heard about the new Navigation Services and how the initial budget for 2011 was to serve 300 people and as of the day prior they had served their 1000th person...how awesome is that?  We dropped off our bikes and boarded the buses back to the hotel.  After a quick trip to Mellow Johnny's it was time to get cleaned up for the night's awards dinner back at LAF headquarters.

Now, for that "ran out of time" comment earlier in the post.  Lance came up on stage to talk cancer advocacy and support.  During his talk he mentioned an article he had just written about Steve Jobs and his impact on the sports community.  Lance said that Steve Jobs didn't lose his battle with cancer he simply "ran out of time" waiting for a better treatment option for his type of cancer.  Lance went on to say that we have to stop referring to our loved ones as losing that battle because they didn't lose...they simply ran out of time.  During the awards, 24 Hours of Booty and its Founder Spencer Lueders was recognized for top fundraising among "partnered events" and a large cheer was offered up by the Booty crew in attendance.  The event ended with this VIDEO.  When the video ended, you could hear a pin drop as the silence was deafening even though we were outside.  After a few seconds of everyone collecting their thoughts and wiping tears from their eyes the dinner was over and we headed back to hotel for a nightcap and then off to bed.   

Sunday morning October 16th: bright and early start...on the bus at 5:15 for the drive out to Dripping Springs, TX.  Under a sky still glistening with a few stars we stepped off of the bus and were directed toward the tent with the yellow dome as our guide to grab some breakfast, get our bikes, and get ready for the Ride for the Roses.  We were guided to the front of the starting area and wound up right beside the announcers booth to watch as Lance Armstrong received a check from Radio Shack for $829,000 dollars making their 3 year donation total nearly $10 million dollars.  After a stirring version of the National Anthem, some safety advice from Lance himself, and a roaring countdown from the assembled 2000 plus riders we were off.  We had been warned of some slick areas right out of the gate and they weren't kidding....several cyclist fishtailed a bit when tapping their brakes...luckily no one went down.  I haven't been riding a lot so trying to keep up with John, Kelly, Bryan, and Basil Lyberg, the Executive Director of 24 Hours of Booty, was a bit of a mistake.  At mile 3 we rounded a left hander to look at a rather short but incredibly steep little climb.  Many riders were off and walking but I made it up the hill. At that point, realizing I had been dropped like a bad habit, I settled in to my own comfortable rhythm and mentally confirmed that there was not a chance that I would attempt to do the 45 mile loop.  We had also been warned of and given instructions on how to cross the numerous cattle guards on these roads.  If you can imagine what it would be like to be riding a jack hammer...you can imagine what is was like rolling over those things. Out on the course, it was nice talking to folks as we rode.  It is all about the stories and many were shared on the road.  At the 10 mile mark, the course split and I took the left hand road for the 20 mile loop.  It was then that I found my solace...riding alone with a rider visible in front of me and the occasional whirring of a chain approaching from behind.  I was able to really reflect on my Mom, my friends who have had family members run out of time like: Stephanie Brown's Dad or little Camden Kibler from Orlando, FL who was only here with his family for a little over 5 months.  I met his parents and little sister through 24 Hours of Booty and was instantly moved by his story.  You can read about Camden's journey HERE.  As I approached the finish line knowing that there would be another survivor lane I tried to prepare myself for the wave of emotions to no avail. As soon as I hit the first marker separating the lanes a wave of honor, accomplishment, and loss all overwhelmed me, as this picture will attest.
  I went back to our assigned area, turned in my bike, and then took in the rest of the day.  I mentioned earlier a wonderful conversation with Doug Ulman, cancer survivor, founder of the Ulman Cancer Fund for Young Adults, and current CEO of the Lance Armstrong Foundation, so let me now highlight that conversation.  Doug was in our Ride for the Roses area speaking with people as they finished and I summoned up the courage that I couldn't summon while riding with Lance and walked up and asked if I could ask him a question.  I was remarkably calm and was able to control my emotions as I told him of my struggle with calling myself a survivor.  I told him that I knew his story and that of the testicular cancer survivor from Friday night's dinner and I didn't feel right calling myself a survivor.  I went on to relate how my cancer was non life threatening and the treatment lasted all of 4 weeks.  When I finished, he looked me in the eye and said "you are a survivor" and went on to explain that we could not compare ourselves to other cancer survivors.  He asked me if a doctor told me that I had cancer and it my medical records contain a diagnosis of cancer, of course the answer to that is yes.  He said to not be ashamed or to struggle with being a survivor any more.  That clarity was a relief.  It has reignited the passion I had earlier in this blog to drive awareness of all types of skin cancer both melanoma and non melanoma alike.  After watching my fellow booty riders return, having a great lunch, hearing stories from the ride, and walking through the expo I headed back to the hotel to get packed and ready for a final night in Austin.  After dinner a ZTejas, where the foundations of the Lance Armstrong Foundation were put in place 15 years ago and a quick walk to Six Lounge, Lance's bar in downtown Austin, it was back to the hotel.

Monday morning October 17th: back to reality...but a reality with a renewed passion for driving awareness of skin cancers, getting ready to kick off fundraising for the 2012 24 Hours of Booty ride in Charlotte, and spreading the message of the LAF and LiveSTRONG!

That's it for now.  I have more stories to tell and will do so over the next few days about little Ella a cancer survivor who rode the 20 mile course, Ben M from Boston a 10 year old who raised $10k on his own, and about a crazy picture of me and Spencer Lueders....! Stay tuned and thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment