Sunday, April 17, 2011

My world has changed....

So, I have had little annoying places on my arms and legs for about 2 years.  I never gave them much thought until I went in for my VA annual physical this year.  The VA doctor recommended that I see a dermatologist, which I must say startled me just a little.  Since we still have good private insurance I called my dermatologist and scheduled an appointment.

So, on Monday April 11, 2011 I went to my dermatologist.  I showed her the spot my VA doctor told me to have looked at and she immediately said that it was harmless and called it, for lack of a better term, an old age spot....me 44, old age spot???  Then she started looking at the annoying places on my arms and asked if I had spent a lot of time in the sun as a kid.  Of course, having grown up on a farm having to work outside throughout the day most of the summer I got burnt and tanned every year.  She told me the places on my are were actinic keratosis, which are pre cancerous cells.  As she checked both arms she came to a spot on my right shoulder and immediately asked if I knew about that particular spot.  I had seen it in the mirror and thought it was a pimple....she took out her marker, circled it, and said "we are going to test that one".... in a very calm, matter of fact tone. She then moved to my legs and found another spot that she circled.... Now, I am getting worried!  The other spots on my legs were deemed to be pre cancerous as well but she was going to treat them with a medicated gel.  The worst spots on my arm were frozen off before the biopsy procedure.

The two spots were subjected to a "shave biopsy" and she gave me a prescription for a Solaraze for the spots on my legs, 16 weeks worth of treatments.  I was told that the biopsy results would take about a week but she (my dermatologist) was 99.9% certain the spot on my shoulder was cancer.  So I went back to work.

The next afternoon, at around 4:15 pm my phone rang and it was the doctor's office....I answered the phone and was told that I had skin cancer!!!  That had to be the hardest thing to hear since I got the call that I had lost my Mom to cancer (we'll save that story for later as I have never really recovered from that day). The only positive to take from this phone call was that the skin cancer I have is basal cell carcinoma

This is the most common and easiest to treat of the skin cancers.  The doctor scheduled me for a "d and c" which is dilation and curettage for the place on my shoulder...basically cut and scrape the location until all of the cancer cells are believed to be removed. I picked up the prescription for the Solaraze and started using it on Thursday....that will have to be a separate post as well. 

So, this blog will now chronicle my journey with skin cancer. I have subsequently found two more places on my right leg that look just like the place on my right shoulder. I will have them examined next Thursday when I am scheduled for the d&c procedure.  

No comments:

Post a Comment