Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Cancer Statistics - Skin Cancer is on the rise!!

If you need some light reading before you go to bed tonight you can check out the link with this post.  It is the complete breakdown of the most recent full cancer statistics published through The American Cancer Society. 

The study is through 2010 and while basal cell and squamous cell carcinomas are not required to be reported to cancer registries more than 2 million people were treated for these two cancers in 2006.  They are the most easily treated cancers (basal cell more so than squamous cell) but the incidents are on the rise. If you love the sun as much as I did/still do then you are at risk for developing skin cancer.  I didn't listen to my parnets when they told me to put on sun screen...quite the contrary. I would use tanning oils to accelerate my tan.  I can't count the number of times that I got seriously burned working on the farm, laying out by a pool, or at high school/college band camps.  When you couple this with the fact that I also have a fair complexion and green eyes puts me very much at risk.

Basal cell carcinomas typically does not spread and are typically treated by excising them completely. I have my next appointment on April 28th to finish excising my shoulder. I will have two other spots on my leg examined as well.

My purpose for blogging about my skin cancer is to educate.  I hope this is a good first start!

No comments:

Post a Comment