Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Cancer screening....To do it or not do it?

Okay, I am not a doctor and I don't play one on television but I read this article with just a bit of skepticism.  Is this a symptom of trying to reign in medical costs or is the medical profession dealing with cancers that much improved.

To me, the key line comes early in the piece:  "Some tumors are too slow-growing to ever threaten your life. Some are so aggressive that finding them early doesn't make much difference."  The article goes on to call out several well known early detection test: PSA test for men and mammograms for women.  At what age should these test begin and do they really help in saving lives...is the gist of the article.

Either way; as I said, I am not a doctor...simply someone who has lost someone to breast cancer and have had my own run in with skin cancer.  I know how I feel about early testing...you decide for yourself with you medical professional!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment